We are Philadelphia’s #1 rated and award-winning board game cafe with a full restaurant, a full bar, and a full retail game and puzzle store all rolled into one.
We are currently offering food and drinks for take-out or delivery, as well as full service indoor seating 7 days a week.
Our current hours are:
Monday through Thursday from 5pm to 10pm.
Friday from 5pm to 12am and Saturday from 12pm to 12am and Sunday open from 12pm to 9pm.
Our many retail games and puzzles are available for in-store browsing during any of our operating hours. You can also browse and purchase online for pick up, local delivery, or nationwide shipping.
All State and City regulations regarding Covid-19 are followed.
Here is the text from our press release, follow us on social media for updates!:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Queen & Rook Game Cafe Announces Expansion into Larger Space with Exciting Addition of Retro Video Game Arcade
Philadelphia, June 1, 2023 – Queen & Rook Game Cafe, a leader in the gaming and entertainment scene in Philadelphia, is thrilled to announce its expansion into a larger space at 123 South Street, accompanied by the introduction of an all-new retro video game arcade. This move aims to enhance the entertainment experience for South Street patrons and to provide options for families and gamers of all ages, with modern and nostalgic board games, video games, and a full restaurant and bar.
The decision to expand Queen & Rook Game Cafe comes in response to the overwhelming community support and growth in popularity the restaurant has experienced over the past 3 and a half years. The larger space — located around the corner — will accommodate a growing customer base and allow for increased event offerings, youth programming, outdoor dining, larger parties, weddings, and more corporate trainings and events. Alongside the expansion, the addition of a retro video game arcade offers a unique blend of food, fun, and nostalgia, making Queen & Rook a go-to destination and tourist attraction for the area.
Queen & Rook already boasts the largest game library in the region with more than 1,300 board games and expert staff to recommend and teach them, and the retro arcade will add a new dimension to gaming, immersing guests in the classic video game titles from the ’80s, ’90s, and early 2000s. With a carefully curated selection of arcade machines, special events, and planned live DJ nights, patrons will have the opportunity to relive cherished memories or discover the joys of retro gaming for the first time.
“We are so excited about this expansion! It will allow us to do more of the events people come for every week and lean into games like no place else in the region,” said Edward Garcia, Founder and Co-Owner. “Having welcoming, fun, and affordable social experiences has never been more important. Whether guests are enjoying a meal and a board game with friends or family, or creating new memories over a game of Ms. Pacman, we want to be the place they go to have a good time.”
In addition to the retro arcade, Queen & Rook will fire up the wood fired ovens and offer pizza and an expanded menu. Guests can continue to enjoy the comfort and street foods from the signature vegetarian/vegan menu, while getting new and exciting food and drink offerings with the expanded capacity.
Queen & Rook is aiming to open the doors to the public at 123 South Street by Fall 2023, welcoming both existing and new patrons to one of the most unique experiences in Philadelphia. The current space at 607 S 2nd Street will remain open until the Fall relocation. The retail space (The Keep) at 613 S 2nd Street will continue to offer the largest selection of board games in Philadelphia. Joe Scarpone of MPN Realty brokered the deal.
About Queen & Rook Game Cafe:
Queen & Rook Game Cafe is Philadelphia’s #1 rated and award-winning board game cafe with a full restaurant and bar, a retail game shop, events, and youth programming. With the upcoming expansion into a larger space, wood fired pizza, and the addition of a retro video game arcade, Queen & Rook aims to offer one of the most unique and fun experiences in the region. ###
Queen & Rook is located at 607 South 2nd Street in Philadelphia, between South and Bainbridge Streets.
- By Subway: We’re about a 20 minute walk from the 2nd Street stop on the SEPTA Market-Frankford Line
- By Bus: The #40 bus stops at 2nd and South Streets; the #57 bus stops at 3rd and South Streets
On-street parking is available near Queen & Rook, and there are several lots nearby, including:
- Park America at 215 Lombard Street
- Abbott Square Garage at 530 South 2nd Street
- E-Z Park at 303 Bainbridge Street
- Washington Square Garage at 249 South 6th Street
- Front Street Garage at 512 South Front Street
Queen & Rook is ADA accessible! We have an ADA-compliant ramp, restrooms, and tables.
Restrooms & Inclusivity
We have a family restroom, and all restrooms at Queen & Rook are gender neutral.
Queen & Rook has the perfect present for the gamer who has everything: gift cards! These can be used to buy meals and beverages, pay library fees, or purchase games and other merchandise in our shop, where we offer a curated selection of board games, cards and booster packs, dice, and RPGs.
- Philadelphia Magazine- Best Of Philly 2020
- Foobooz- Best Places to Eat Outdoors in Philly
- Philadelphia Inquirer- Vegan Wings in Philly
- 34th Street – This Board Game Cafe is the Site of Your Next Night Out
- Philadelphia Inquirer – Queen & Rook brings fun and games (plus drinks and vegetarian food) to Queen Village
- Philadelphia Inquirer – Queen & Rook is a board-game cafe with a twist
- Billy Penn – Philly’s newest board game cafe: 1,200 titles, Vietnamese coffee and an inclusive vibe
- Philadelphia Magazine – Queen & Rook Is About to Open With Board Games and Vegetarian Fare
- The Painted Lines – Suit Up! @ Keystone Comic Con – Queen & Rook Game Cafe
- Eater Philadelphia – New Queen Village Bar Will Stock More Than 1,000 Board Games
- Philadelphia Magazine – Queen & Rook, a Board Game Cafe, Will Open in Queen Village
- Philadelphia Inquirer – Their move: Queen & Rook, a game cafe, is coming to South Street
- Philly Current – All the Right Moves